CITY OF SAINT PAUL
INVITES APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF
OPENING DATE: 12/09/13
CLOSING DATE: 01/06/14 at 04:30 PM
SALARY: $23.95 -$36.52 Hourly
$1,915.67 -$2,921.32 Biweekly
$49,807.42 -$75,954.32 Annually
JOB TYPE: Full Time
DEPARTMENT: 04-001 Police
GENERAL DUTY STATEMENT:
Performs full-performance police work involving the protection and safety of the community through prevention and control of crime, preserving peace, regulating traffic, patrolling assigned geographic areas, monitoring neighborhood crime, providing leadership in crime prevention programs, and providing emergency services. Maintains knowledge of the city and recognizes neighborhood characteristics which affect the incidence of crime and disorder. Attends City and community meetings and consults with leaders in both business and residential communities. Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required.
Essential Functions are the functions that the individual holding the position must be able to perform unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation. The Essential Functions for this position are identified in the Supplemental Information section of the Police Officer Job Description.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years of age and be licensed or eligible for licensure as a Peace Officer in the State of Minnesota.
Certain positions may require speaking fluently in a second language. Possible languages include: Vietnamese, Hmong, Cambodian, Spanish, Somali, Karen and Laotian.
CONTINUED EMPLOYMENT CONTINGENCIES:
Applicants who are not licensed or eligible for licensure must be accepted into Skills, without condition, by the application deadline.
To be considered for employment by the Saint Paul Police Department applicants must be licensed or eligible for licensure as a Peace Officer in the State of Minnesota. Therefore, qualified applicants who submit option a or b from the list below, and pass the examination, will immediately be eligible for employment consideration by the department. Qualified applicants who submit option c, d, or e listed below, and pass the examination, will not be eligible for employment consideration until an additional letter demonstrating eligibility from MN P.O.S.T. is received by Human Resources.
Out-of-state applicants must be scheduled for the Minnesota P.O.S.T reciprocity exam.
BY CLOSING DATE, YOU MUST:
Submit a City of Saint Paul online application, including answers to the Supplemental Questionnaire.
Upload or submit a legible copy of one document from the following list of options:
Letter of Eligibility from MN P.O.S.T.
MN Peace Officer's License
Letter of acceptance into Skills
Letter of scheduled P.O.S.T. examination
MN P.O.S.T. reciprocity exam approval letter
Upload or submit documentation using the online application system, US mail, email, fax or in person. Each uploaded attachment is limited to 5 MB. Zip files will not be accepted. Any attachment uploaded to your online application after it has been submitted will not be received by Human Resources.
SELECTION PROCESS INFORMATION:
This posting is open to anyone who meets the position requirements. In order to be considered a promotional candidate the applicant must be a current City of Saint Paul Parking Enforcement Officer or Community Liaison Officer who meets the promotion rule, which includes 2 years of certified service.
Exam Subject: (Written Examination x .50) + (Oral Interview x .50) = Final Score (Pass/Fail)
The written examination will be administered on:
Monday, February 3, 2014 from 9:00 am -12:00 pm. Check-in begins at 8:00 am. Arrive with official photo identification at least 20 minutes before the examination begins.
Location: Saint Paul RiverCentre -Ballroom Level; 175 West Kellogg Blvd. St. Paul, MN.
Print and make note of this information as no additional notices will be sent.
Electronic devices and other materials will not be permitted during the examination. Do not bring cell phones calculators, dictionaries, computers or any other electronic devices or materials to the examination. Any such devices brought to the test site will be collected by test administrators and held until the conclusion of examination. Devices or materials found in an applicant's possession after the examination begins may subject an applicant to disqualification.
Applicants who do not meet minimum requirements will not be eligible to participate in the examination and will be notified via email by January 28, 2014.
Written Test Study Guide:
Applicants are responsible for and encouraged to purchase a study guide prior to the examination (not required). Study guides or other materials may not be used during the examination.
The study guides available for this test are:
Be careful to select the correct study guide as listed above. Purchase either study guide at: http://www.publicsafetyrecruitment.com/studyguides/list.asp?Type=Police .
Qualified candidates will receive notice of their oral interview time, location, and other information following the written test. Candidates who do not complete the written test will not be allowed to continue in the exam process. Tentative oral interview dates: February 10 -February 14, 2014 (may be subject to change).
No make-up dates or rescheduling will be allowed for written or oral tests.
GENERAL PROCESS INFORMATION:
Eligible Lists: The non-promotion eligible list is pass/fail and the promotion eligible list is ranked. The promotion list of eligibles is considered before the non-promotion list.
Final Selection Process: A hiring manager will consider applicants placed on the list of eligible candidates. You will be notified if you are invited to participate in the final selection process which will include an extensive background check. Successful completion of the background check is required before an applicant is considered for employment.
Pre-Employment Process: Candidates receiving a Police Trainee conditional offer of employment are required to pass a comprehensive medical examination including drug testing, and psychological assessment before appointment. Please review the Police Officer Pre-Placement Medical Standards for vision and hearing which can be found on the City's website at http://www.stpaul.gov/DocumentCenter/View/3718.
Conditions of Employment: Continued employment, and appointment to the position of Police Officer, is contingent upon successful completion of the 16 week Academy and probationary period. A critical element to successful completion of the 16 week Academy is the physical fitness test. See details of the minimum physical fitness standards cadets are required to meet on the City's website, at http://www.stpaul.gov/index.aspx?NID=2271.
Continued employment is contingent upon passing a probationary period of 2080 work hours in the position of Police Officer following successful completion of the Academy.
Suite 200 City Hall Annex 25 West Fourth Street
Saint Paul, MN 55102
Phone: 651-266-6500 Fax: 651-266-6490
Minnesota P.O.S.T. Questions: 651-643-3060
Apply early and do not wait until the last hour to apply. Print this job posting before you apply to refer back to this information.
The City of Saint Paul is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. Therefore we encourage applications from all individuals including persons with disabilities, persons of color, LGBT, and women
An Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer
SUBMIT APPLICATIONS AND ADDITIONAL MATERIALS ONLINE: www.stpaul.gov/jobs
Office of Human Resources: 651-266-6500 24-hour Recorded Jobline: 651-266-6502
Exam Number# 13-02053 POLICE OFFICER CA
Police Officer Supplemental Questionnaire
* 1. Will you be at least 21 years old by January 6, 2014?
* 2. Are you currently in possession of or will you be in possession of a valid Minnesota Driver's License (Class D, A, B or C CDL) or an equivalent out-of-state license by January 6, 2014?
* 3. What is your current Minnesota P.O.S.T. status?
Licensed Minnesota Peace Officer
Eligible for Minnesota Peace Officer Licensure
Accepted into Skills
Scheduled for the MN P.O.S.T exam
MN P.O.S.T. reciprocity exam eligible
None of the above
* 4. You must attach or submit a copy of your Minnesota: Letter of Eligibility, Peace Officer's License, Letter of Acceptance into Skills, Scheduled MN P.O.S.T. Exam Letter OR MN POST Reciprocity Exam Approval Letter. Do you understand one of the documents listed above MUST be received by the Office of Human Resources prior to the application deadline?
* 5. BE SURE TO CHECK FOR ALL ELECTRONIC ATTACHMENTS BEFORE SUBMITTING YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION. Do you understand that documents attached to your online application after it has been submitted will not be received by Human Resources and therefore must be mailed, e-mailed, faxed or provided in person to the Office of Human Resources before the application deadline of January 6, 2014 at 4:30 pm?
* 6. Answers to the following questions will be viewed by the hiring manager(s) when selecting applicants to participate in a final selection process. Only applicants who have passed the civil service examination may be considered.
I understand my answers may be viewed by a hiring manager
* 7. Describe your educational background, including college degrees, training, seminars, workshops, certifications, or licenses applicable to this position.
* 8. Describe your law enforcement or other work experience. Include position titles, brief summary of responsibilities, and length of experience.
* 9. Describe your experience with community involvement and/or volunteer work.
10. Check all languages you speak, read, or write fluently. Candidates maybe tested on the language selected prior to hire. If you are not fluent in a language other than English, leave this question blank.
Hmong or Laotian
Skaw, Pwo, or other Karen language
11. If your response to question 11 was "Other", please indicate which language, in addition to English, you speak, read and/or write fluently.
* Required Question